Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Up From San Antone - a Happy New Year

Hey y'all! I just got back from an amazing, life jarring trip to Texas. San Antonio to be specific. We went to visit my wonderful sister in law, and I really didn't have high expectations aside from being happy to see her after a year or so of being separated by several states. To be honest I'd never really heard many positive things about Texas, even from Texans themselves! I had been told that if there was one nice place in Texas, then San Antonio and the surrounding hill country were it. So we loaded the boys up for their first air plane ride, and off we set.
Let me tell you, Texas rocked my world. From San Antonio's downtown with its beautiful buildings, friendly establishments, and legendary riverwalk; to its history and cultural heritage. The missions are amazing. I took nearly 800 pictures on this trip, not one of the Alamo. Doesn't that say something? Perhaps the biggest thing the city is known for, and I don't have a single picture of it. All I can say is there were a lot of rules when we went to the Alamo. I didn't want one of the old guys in blue blazers to yell at me. I'm chicken like that. I was more moved by the intimacy of the lesser known missions, like Mission San Juan and Mission San Jose, so that is where I spent my battery power.

We took one day trip to the hill country, where I fell in love with a gorgeous little artsy town called Wimberley. Another day took us to the "guf" where folks drive their trucks right up to the waters edge and oil rigs dot the horizon. Somehow, I have to say it was beautiful. Even the hulking oil refineries, dwarfed by what my husband tells me are the largest cranes in all the world, had their own beauty. What can I say? I'm totally smitten.

The music. Oh, the music. I had the chance to hear my current favorite musical artist, Scott H. Biram perform in a tiny bar (live music 365 days a year at the Triple Crown) in his home town. Who gets to do that? Not me, until now! I introduced myself to his mom and wondered how she kept from crying through his incredibly moving set. I only hope that someday I am witness to my own sons embracing and sharing their own talents with such abandon. That show was on day two, and set a rollicking, bluesy, festive mood for the trip. You know I'm cranking the CD now right? Funny story, my sister in law bought the CD straight from the man himself and, lacking a pen to sign it, Mr. Biram bit the heck out of a corner of the case. Eventually we found a sharpie, so I have my signature, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only fan who can boast tooth marks as well!

Didn't I say something about "life-jarring"? It was. I felt such happiness on this trip, a carefree high I'd forgotten about. Perhaps a feeling I didn't think I'd have again as I moved into serious adulthood. Silly me! I won't forget that feeling. I won't let my family live without that feeling. I'm starting this year with a new drive to gain some financial independence, live without fear, and accomplish things I keep thinking I'm just not meant to accomplish. A quote I came across recently summarizes my folly:

"Its not who you are that holds you back, its who you think you're not"

Yep. Not wealthy, not creative, not energetic....done with all that. For the first time I've made some New Years Resolutions, and I'd like to share them here:

1. Complete a freelance writing job.
2. Train Gus (our border collie. He's brilliant and he needs his brilliance to be channeled)
3. Simplify/declutter (check your ebay listings soon, mama wants to move into an Airstream trailer)
4. Become free from financial stress (It can be done and this year I'm going to do it)

And now, if you will, join me for a short pictorial tour of our Texas odyssey! I'll start you out with a photo of Mr. Biram in action, along with a link to one of his great songs. If you are intrigued, NPR did a fantastic interview with him on The Story. I hope you enjoy, and many blessings to you and yours for the new year!




 Love the morning light on an airplane.
Koi fish and lily at the Japanese Tea Gardens in San Antonio 
Nature walk on the grounds of Mission San Juan
Beautiful Live Oaks in downtown San Antonio
Vintage sign and window full of plants, downtown San Antonio
We found the underside of this riverwalk bridge to be "riveting" lol
Gorgeous arches of Mission San Jose
Mission San Jose
A Christmas Day nature walk at the Medina River Natural Area
Medina River reflections
Cozy Live Oak canopy in Wimberley, TX
Gruene Dance Hall, oldest dance hall in Texas!
Leather and old wood
Fan in the Gruene Dance Hall
BBQ at Rudy's!!
Seaworld!
Chasing birds on the Gulf of Mexico
Side of the Luckenbach post office
Performers in Luckenbach. They sange Johnny and June Cash's going to Jackson song...sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment